If you think you have malware, you should run a HijackThis log and post it on one of the forums I’ve listed below.
To download HijackThis go to the following link: http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/
- Click on the “Download” button at the top of the page, then click on the “Download HijackThis Installer” link that will appear . . . it’s the very first one.
- Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
- Double click on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop. You may get the “open file – security warning” window asking you if you want to run the file. If so, just click “Run”.
- Click “Install”. By default it will install HJT to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis and create a HJT icon on your desktop and launch HJT.
- Click on the “Do a system scan and save a log file” button. It will scan and then save the log to Notepad.
- Close HJT by clicking on the “X”.
- At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy (doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won’t see it yet….)
- Go to any of the Malware Removal forums listed below and Paste the log in a new thread.
DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required. WAIT until a security expert AT ONE OF THE SITES LISTED BELOW looks at your log and interprets it and posts a reply.
There are others, but this is a good start.
It might be a good idea to post your HJT log to several forums at the same time. There are two reasons for this:
1. You may get more information on some, though there is always the pitfall that you might get conflicting information.
2. Response times vary, so you may get a quicker answer on some.
Be sure to read all the sticky announcements/instructions at the top of each malware forum!
You will probably have to register to post.