You just opened up your new HDTV and you are ready to hook it up. After you connect all your cables and power up your new TV, you will need to configure your Comcast DVR. Most Comcast DVR’s are defaulted to 480i resolution and 4:3 aspect ratio. If your TV is rated at 720p or 1080p, you will need to change the setting on your DVR.
How to set up your Comcast DVR
- Power off your DVR using your remote. Press the cable button on the top of the remote and then press the power button. The DVR display will go black.
- Once the DVR is powered off, locate and press the MENU button. You should see a User Settings screen on your TV in about 2 to 3 seconds. If it doesn’t work, you may have to repeat this step.
- On the User Settings screen, look for the aspect ratio setting (it’s the first choice). It will be listed at either 16:9 or 4:3 (Most Comcast DVR’s are defaulted at 4:3). If you have an HDTV you will want to choose 16:9.
- Look for the HDMI setting. Here you will set the resolution setting that your TV is rated at. The choices are; 480i, 720p and 1080i. If your TV is rated at 1080p, you will want to select 1080i.
- Under the HDMI setting you will also be able to set the display for non-HD programs and channels. For the best optimal picture set this option to 480i. If you prefer watching those programs without the black bars, then change the setting to “stretch.” I recommend “stretch” as you will have a larger display.
- Once all your settings are configured, just point the remote at the DVR and press the power button. In a few seconds your DVR will power up with the correct settings.
You will notice a significant improvement and exactly what you expected your new HDTV to look like.
Recent posts in Tech